Calendar at a Glance
|November 6||Quarter 1 Ends|
|November 7||HS SAT Subject test|
|November 9||Quarter 2 Begins|
|November 9-January 30||HS Basketball Season|
|November 11||HS PSAT|
|November 12-13||Parent Teacher Conferences (Half Days)|
|November 19-21||Virtual TIANMUN|
|November 27||ECC/ES Talent Show|
To view the entire school calendar, or download the Calendar Overview, follow the link below.
5th grade collaborating in class
Staff In and Around China
We’re pleased to continue and share positive news about our teachers returning to China. Last weekend, one of our new teaching duos, Mrs. Park and Mr. Park, made it through quarantine and are excited about teaching their junior kindergarten and fifth-grade classes.
Mrs. Park with her JK class and Mr. Park meeting students
By the middle of next week, Mrs. Brown, Ms. Peterson, and Mr. Malan will be out of quarantine and on campus with their students while eleven more staff members follow closely behind them.
The Harsch family, the French's and Ms. Kolbe in transit on their way to China
Getting back to China is no easy feat, but coming back to ISQ makes every hurdle worth it. Two- and three-day multiple plane trips, up to 6 or 7 COVID-19 tests, or the long quarantine period pales in comparison to finally seeing ISQ’s students, colleagues, and parents.
As an international school, we are constantly having to also say goodbye to staff. The Tapley family has been part of the ISQ and LDi family for many years, and their news is that they will be transitioning back to their home country of Australia at the end of this calendar year. Click here to read the farewell letter for Natasha Tapley, or Teacher Tash as she is known to so many.
Young engineers in Foundations class
PowerSchool and You
Over the coming weeks we are going to be using PowerSchool more and more. Two such areas are the Parent Teacher Conferences and the new Lunch Program. For this reason, we encourage you to be familiar with your PowerSchool account.
Parent Teacher Conferences (PTCs) are coming up on 12-13 November (more details and booking information will come out in next week’s Lighthouse News). To book time slots with your child’s teachers, you will need to be able to access the PTC scheduler on Monday and Tuesday, 9-10 November.
New Lunch Program: with our new pay-per-meal lunch program starting next quarter, all families opting into our lunch program will need to learn how to monitor their child’s lunch balance. To do this, log into PowerSchool, then click “Balance”.
Please note that families that have ordered lunch for the entire semester or year, your remaining balance will roll over into the new program. For others, please transfer money to ISQ’s bank account and email the receipt to email@example.com. Lunch cost per meal:
|Grade||Cost per meal|
*For more details on our new Lunch Program, please refer to the Notes at the bottom of this newsletter, or refer to the Lunch notice in last week’s Lighthouse News.
If you have forgotten your PowerSchool username or password, you can choose to reset these on the PowerSchool login page. Please contact our registrar at Catherine.Zheng@isqchina.com if you have any problems.
2nd grade working together
Announcing the ISQ Talent Show!
Friday, November 27, 2020
Dear ECC/Elementary Students:
Do you love to dance and sing? Do you play the violin? Can you juggle while doing cartwheels? Then ISQ wants you to be in our talent show!
• Use your imagination! We are looking for a variety of acts: singing, playing instruments, comedy, drama, dancing, magic acts, dramatic readings…the possibilities are endless!
• Acts or performances may include any number of students – priority will be given to those that showcase more than one student.
• Each student may participate in up to 2 separate acts.
• Students must provide their own accompaniments or background tracks if needed.
• Please limit the act or performance to no longer than 5 minutes.
• Parents, please understand that due to the restraints of social distancing, you will not be allowed to assist your child at their audition or during the show. Please ensure that your child can audition and perform independently.
• Each participating student must complete a Talent Show Application (found here) and give it to their classroom teacher by Friday, October 30.
• All entrants must audition. Auditions will be held Monday, November 9 – Friday, November 13 during the school day.
• Students will be notified of their audition day and time on Wednesday, November 4.
• There is only room for 20 acts in the Talent Show, so please understand that not all acts or performances can be chosen. We will give preference to acts and performances that are diverse, include multiple students, and show adequate preparation in the audition.
• The list of participants will be published on Monday, November 16.
Hope to see you there!
Junior Kindergarten learning through play
WeChat this week
This week's WeChat article has wonderful pictures of our Elementary students enjoying and learning through their team-building exercises in PE.
Don't miss it! Scan the following QR code to subscribe to our WeChat account: here you can stay up to date with what happens in the life of our school. Our WeChat covers events, learning moments, teacher spotlights, coach spotlights, sports, and more. We’re working hard and we’re having fun, and we want you to be a part of it!
Follow us on WeChat at ISQ_Dolphins or scan the QR code below.
Kindergarten going through their paces
Notes and Reminders
New Lunch Program Improvements
With the roll out of our new lunch system, we’ve taken a fresh look at our lunch program and have decided it’s in our family’s best interests to begin our new pay-per-meal lunch program.
No preorders, no minimum deposits, and no planning ahead necessary. Whether your child wants to eat school lunch once a week, every day, or somewhere inbetween this new payment system works for you!
Next steps for you
This change will begin next quarter. For families that have ordered lunch for the entire year or semester, there’s no immediate action necessary. Your remaining balance will roll over into the new program. For others, please transfer money to ISQ’s bank account and email the receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Account name: 学校名称：青岛MTI国际学校
Bank name: 银行名称：招商银行股份有限公司青岛崂山支行
Bank account: 532900152410202
Initial deposits are due by October 30, and further deposits after October 30 should be made when your child’s balance goes below 100 RMB.
One change all families opting into our lunch program will need to learn is how to monitor their child’s lunch balance. To do this, log into PowerSchool, then click “Balance”.
If you have any questions about our lunch program, feel free to contact our lunch team at email@example.com.
Just for fun :)